Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Advocate

I remember the first time I heard the song.  It was some type of music awards show. The driving rhythm juxtaposed with melodic lyrics captured my attention immediately.  It was only after listening over and over again that I realized the beauty of the words.  But what did they mean?

It's empty in the valley of your heart
The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears and all the faults
You've left behind

It was only later that I realized that it made me think of you.  I have known you for years.  Well...not exactly.  I have known of you.  I heard your story way back when, when browsing a web site or maybe as a human interest piece on television.  I always wondered how you survived such a tragedy.  How did you not lie down on that hospital room floor and never get up?  Certainly that's what I would have done.

Then one day you comment on my blog or follow me on twitter.  And finding you here, I realize the agonizing pain has not beaten you.  It's turned you into an advocate.

So tie me to a post and block my ears
I can see widows and orphans through my tears
I know my call despite my faults
And despite my growing fears

I said recently in a blog post that the indignity of death is that memories fade.  But you, you have done the exact opposite.  The power of your suffering has brought your loved one into even greater focus.

Physicians fear advocacy.  We demure when exposed to the prying public eye. Your persistence opens our eyes and returns us to the primary goal.  We must not make the same mistakes over and over again.


But I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On the noose around your neck
And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again

To lift up.
To protect
To advocate.

You change the conversation.



Words and lyrics from The Cave, Mumford and Sons.














3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your words are such beautiful prose and bring me to tears. Thank you for this.

Unknown said...

Your words are such beautiful prose and make me think such deep thoughts. I appreciate all you do.. Thank you so much.

Chrysalis said...

Beautiful.