Monday, February 23, 2015

The Wolves Are Licking Their Lips

There is much sacred in the hallowed halls of medicine. As any other secret society, this fraternal order of health care professionals has its own language, costumes, and humor. The pathway from pre-medical student, medical student, resident, and finally to attending is heavily marked with ritual and ever-expanding responsibilities. The world opens and unfolds before the eyes of the novice.
There is no more enduring symbol of membership in this group than the modern-day hospital. For those who don’t belong, only fear and wonder lie behind the sliding glass doors of the entry to the emergency room. For the initiated, however, a highly classified world expands and defines our existence.  
It was in the hospital where I diagnosed my first disease. I led my first team. I saved my first life.

Read the rest of my post at The Medical Bag.

No comments: